-Buying a first home is an exciting milestone in life, but it can also be a daunting process. With the multitude of options and considerations involved, it’s crucial to approach the journey with careful planning and preparation. Marc Coons, Paso Robles mortgage consultant, has the ten top tips to help first-time home buyers navigate the entire process from getting the loan to moving in.
First-time homebuyers tend to start the process with combined senses of worry and excitement. Worrying about the loan process because of the possibility of being turned down, worrying about the long search for the perfect affordable home and worrying about something going awry during escrow are all wrapped up in the excitement of finally buying a home and dreams of the future.
Marc brings over 17 years of experience as a residential mortgage consultant, helping individuals and families find the right loan for buying that first home, refinancing a home, getting a loan to buy another home, building a new home, or remodeling an existing home. His experience with working with hundreds of satisfied clients over the years has given him the knowledge to help first-time home buyers be more comfortable with the process.
Ten tips for homebuying confidence
“By following these ten tips,” says Marc, “home buyers can be more comfortable and confident during the entire process.”
- Determine your budget: Before starting the house hunt, establish a realistic budget. Calculate your financial capabilities by analyzing your income, savings, and expenses. Consider consulting a financial advisor or mortgage professional to determine the maximum amount you can afford and are aware of all associated costs, such as closing costs and property taxes.
- Get pre-approved for a mortgage: Obtaining a pre-approval for a mortgage is a smart move as it gives you a clear understanding of your purchasing power. It also demonstrates your seriousness to sellers, giving you an edge in a competitive market. Pre-approval is one of the important services offered by the Paso Robles mortgage consultant. With access to hundreds of lenders and backed by CrossCounty Mortgage, Marc and his team are able to streamline the preapproval and the loan process.
- Research neighborhoods: Thoroughly research the neighborhoods you are interested in. Consider factors like schools, transportation, amenities, safety, and future development plans. Visit the areas at different times of the day to get a sense of the atmosphere and community. This information helps make an informed decision about the location that suits your lifestyle and preferences.
- Make a list of priorities: Create a list of must-haves and nice-to-haves in a home. Identify the number of bedrooms and bathrooms, desired square footage, and any specific features, such as a two-car garage. This list serves as a guide, helping you narrow down options and make a more informed decision.
- Work with a reliable real estate agent: Engage the services of an experienced and trustworthy real estate agent who specializes in the local market. An agent can provide valuable insights, guide you through the buying process, negotiate on your behalf, and ensure all legal and contractual aspects are handled properly.
- Attend open houses: Taking the opportunity to attend open houses gives you a firsthand experience of different properties, their conditions, and layouts. Be sure to ask questions, take notes, and envision yourself living in each space. Don’t rush into making an offer until you have explored various options.
- Consider future resale value: While buying your first home is an exciting personal milestone, it’s important to consider its potential resale value. Analyze the market trends, evaluate the area’s growth potential, and assess any upcoming development plans that might impact property values. Choosing a home with good resale potential can be advantageous if you decide to upgrade in the future.
- Conduct thorough inspections and surveys: Before committing to a purchase, invest in professional inspections and surveys to uncover any hidden issues or potential liabilities. A thorough inspection will help you avoid expensive surprises and allow you to negotiate repairs or price reductions if necessary. Many lenders require these inspections, which usually take place during escrow.
- Don’t rush into a decision: Buying a home is a significant investment, so don’t rush into a decision. Consider all aspects carefully, consult with professionals, and trust your instincts. Remember, it’s better to wait for the right property than to rush into a purchase that may not meet your needs or financial goals.
- Be prepared for additional costs: Beyond the purchase price, be prepared for additional costs such as property taxes, homeowner’s insurance, maintenance, potential renovations and moving expenses. Factor these expenses into your budget and ensure you have a financial cushion for unexpected situations.
Purchasing a first home is a thrilling experience, but it requires careful planning and consideration. Using these ten tips as guidance, and relying on Marc Coons expertise to help you find the right loan for your circumstances. A Central Coast resident for 30 years, the Paso Robles mortgage consultant is committed to supporting the local communities through solid connections and wonderful relationships.
Working with an expert
Recognizing that each customer has specific needs, Marc applies his experience, along with Certainty Home Lending’s superior “in-house-local” processing, underwriting and closing functions to assure a smooth loan process from application to moving in.
A skilled professional backed by Certainty Home Lending, Marc connects home buyers with lenders and makes the mortgage process run as smoothly as possible. Rely on Marc and his team to:
- Answer your questions.
- Thoroughly understand your circumstances.
- Help you prequalify.
- Connect you with the right mortgage for your needs.
- Streamline the paperwork and mortgage application.